Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup fails on cygwin

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff-backup fails on cygwin
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:53:34 +1000

phowell wrote:

Are there any issues with running 0.13.4 with python  2.3.4?
Python 2.3.4 (#1, Jun 13 2004, 11:21:03)
[GCC 3.3.1 (cygming special)] on cygwin

I think thats a bit of a furphy....
The problem is not with missing python modules - if you research these, you don't need them and indeed - I never have them on linux. Have you seen my win32 installs? they are good for win32-> linux, but atm, rdiff-backup just plain don't work on win32->win32 or linux -> win32 because of differing timestamps I think. Basically, I believe it has to do with being unable to detect the mirror-metadata file or the current-mirror marker being undetectable. The backup fails writing to a win32/cygwin filesystem because of this. Its just a theory, but I have bashed away at it and thats the best I can come up with. I would be happy to work with someone and even pay them to fix this problem - I can provide a testing environment etc if need be.... For now, if you dig on the wiki, someone was working on getting rdiff-backup to work natively with win32 python not cygwin, but i believe he didn't actually make any progress.

if you find anything, please update the wiki...

thanks

dave