Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Excluding special files, but not symlinks

From: Robert Shaw
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Excluding special files, but not symlinks
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:50:44 -0700

Hi Ben,

Here is a patch that does what I prefer the behavior of rdiff-backup to be regarding the --exclude-special-files option. You can disregard the previous patch.

This patch adds "--exclude-symlinks", "--exclude-sockets", and "--exclude-fifos" options and the "--exclude-special-files" works as it did before (excludes dev files, fifos, sockets, and symlinks). I also updated the man page to reflect these changes. This way you can selectively use any combination of them, or the shorthand "--exclude-special-files" option for all of them. This patch is also backward compatible with existing rdiff-backup implementations by users.

It does issue those warnings about not being the first selector when you use multiple of these at the beginning. I haven't fixed that yet. But they don't hurt anything.

I think this is the cleaner solution IMHO. But it's your call since you're the author. ;)

Thanks!
-Robert