[rdiff-backup-users] Excluding special files, but not symlinks

From: Robert Shaw
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Excluding special files, but not symlinks
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:15:06 -0700

Hi Ben,

The option to exclude special files is very useful. However, I would prefer that it not exclude symbolic links, only sockets, devices, and fifos. I personally don't consider a symlink to be a "special" file, and I often want to backup these links (but not all the sockets and other special files). There is no easy way to do this with the current options.

So to solve the problem I made a small patch that adds an "--exclude-special-non-link-files" option to do this. I don't know if this is the best approach, but it's at least a compatible approach for existing users. I would prefer that the "--exclude-special-files" option not exclude symlinks, and that there be a new option for excluding just symlinks, but that would change behavior for existing users expecting the symlinks to not be backed up. You can decide how to properly address this. If you want a patch that changes is that way, I can send one.

Take it for what it's worth, but it's useful to me at least, and maybe to others.

Thanks!
-Robert