[rdiff-backup-users] Help: rdiff queries

From: Prashant Dhotkar
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Help: rdiff queries
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:39:54 +0530

Dear rdiff Developers,

I am new user to rdiff,

I have few queries please help me.

 1. I want to know whether rdiff server and client are available for

      * Novell servers

      * Windows 2003

      * Windows 2000 server

      * Windows NT

      * Windows XP

      * Xservers

      * Mac OS X

      * Mac OS 9

 2. I also want to know if my rdiff server is on Mac OS X

      and the clients are Windows (XP/2000/2003) , Novelle Server , Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, Linux.

      Does it works with all the clients. I mean to say is there any problem

backup the data using rdiff from all different OS clients to Mac OS X.

 3. I also want to know if my rdiff server is on Windows (XP/2000/2003)

      and the clients are Windows (XP/2000/2003) , Novelle Server , Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, Linux.

      Does it works with all the clients. I mean to say is there any problem

backup the data using rdiff from all different OS clients to Windows.

 4. I also want to know if my rdiff server is on Novelle Server

      and the clients are Windows (XP/2000/2003) , Novelle Server , Mac OS X, Mac OS 9, Linux.

      Does it works with all the clients. I mean to say is there any problem

backup the data using rdiff from all different OS clients to Novelle

server.

 5. I want to know If rdiff Server is receiving the data of around 1 GB

every day what is harware configuration recommended   for the better

performance.

 6. How rdiff works with multiple client connections in terms of performance ?

 7. For backing data across different clients on different platform (as I

mentioned earlier) do we need data to be backup should be availble on

shares(NFS/CIFS) ? or what rdiff supports ?

 8. What are the recovery mechanism provided by rdiff ?

Thanks and regards,

Prashant Dhotkar

(Software Programmer)

S P Software Technologies (I) Pvt. Ltd.