[rdiff-backup-users] --include xyz --exclude '**' and symlinks

From: Spike Spiegel
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] --include xyz --exclude '**' and symlinks
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:32:50 +0200

Hi all,

I've just installed rdiff-backup, woody backport (ver 0.13.4), and set it
up to backup stuff from a remote server on a machine inside my lan. Same
version is installed on remote host. Problem seems to be ralated to
symlinks in conjunction with include/exlcude '**', as mentioned in
subject.

I've run r-b as follows:

r-b
        --v6                    \
        --include dir1  \
        --include dir2  \
        --exclude '**'  \
remotehost::/path /localpath

Inside dir2, there's a symlink to dir3, and dir3 doesn't get backupped.
imho this happens cause dir3 is excluded via --exclude '**' and symlink
isn't prioritized against exclude.

Don't know if I'm right or not, and don't know if this is meant to be a
bug or a feature, so I decided to ask here.

tnx for your help,

bye

Spike

--