Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ssh timeout error interrupts backup

From: Adam Rosi-Kessel
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ssh timeout error interrupts backup
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:57:01 -0400

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004, Jim Tittsler wrote:
> Although I must admit I'm surprised that your rdiff-backup session
> could go silent for so long that the connection looks idle to the
> router.

I'm guessing that the timeout is actually in the regression from the past
failure, which takes an hour or more.  The ssh connection is open during
the connection, but I don't know that any data is being sent--presumably
a regression doesn't require any information about the source.

I wonder if rdiff-backup might be able to send null packets or something
during a long silent period?  I'm sure other people have this problem as
well.

Or alternatively, could rdiff-backup check first to see if it needs to
regress, and do that before establishing a connection?  Is there any
reason to establish the connection first?
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org