Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ssh timeout error interrupts backup

From: Jim Tittsler
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ssh timeout error interrupts backup
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:59:03 +0900

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 02:05:17PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> You probably want to set the ServerAliveInterval option in
> ~/.ssh/config (aka ProtocolKeepAlives, aka something else for SSHv1).
> This makes it send a little bit of traffic every while to keep the
> connection alive from the router's point of view.  Seems to work for
> me.

And depending on the timeouts involved, you may need to
increase the frequence of the keepalives.  On Linux you
can do that with something like:
  echo 900 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

If the TCP keepalives are not enough, investigate how
some SSH clients have the ability to insert an SSH NOOP
periodically on an idle connection.  (PuTTY for example.  :-)
There are patches that allow you to add it to OpenSSH.
  http://www.sc.isc.tohoku.ac.jp/~hgot/sources/openssh-watchdog.html

Although I must admit I'm surprised that your rdiff-backup
session could go silent for so long that the connection looks
idle to the router.