Re: [rdiff-backup-users] python errors backing up with .13.4

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] python errors backing up with .13.4
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:25:47 -0400

> Greetings folks.  I've recently moved over to .13.4 from .12.6, and it
> seems to be going just fine.  Well, until this morning when I got the
> following error:
>
> cPickle.UnpicklingError: invalid load key, 'H'.

Pickling is Python's way of serializing objects.  rdiff-backup uses it
to send objects from one side of the connection to the other.  Perhaps
one of the pickles was damaged in transport?

> Also I have had another one that doesn't seem to matter a huge amount,
> but it's an error that greets me every morning regardless.
>
> Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at
> backups/arcterex.net/rdiff-backup-data
> Warning: ownership cannot be changed on filesystem at
> backups/arcterex.net/rdiff-backup-data
>
> This error comes from backing up (as root) from my local webserver to
> remote server (as non-root).

This is normal---since you aren't root on the destination, you can't
change the ownership.  Ownership should still be preserved though, in
the metadata file.

> The backups *seem* to be ok, they verify ok, though that same error pops
> up, and the gallery and gallery/setup directory with the odd permissions
> doesn't seem to exist in the rdiff-backup-data dir.

There was a problem with some odd-permission directories, though, that
was fixed in 0.12.7 or in CVS (fix will be included in 0.13.5).

--
Ben Escoto