[rdiff-backup-users] Restoring a folder. Uid not correct

From: Fran Firman
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Restoring a folder. Uid not correct
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 14:08:06 +1200

I have found a problem when I was doing a restore, regarding the uid and
gid information.

I have a backup that is like..

mybackup/bin/....
mybackup/home/....
mybackup/usr/....
mybackup/var/.... etc

if I backup with rdiff-backup -r now mybackup/home/ server::/test/home/
then the uid's gid's are correct.

But if I backup the whole lot with rdiff-backup -r now mybackup
server::/test/mybackup, the uid's and gid's are not correct.

ie if there are four users under /home

fred = 1000
jo = 1001
andrew = 1002
tom = 1003

I have done one restore where all of the uid's are 1000 and on another
backup the uid's are all 103

So at the moment I am having to restore via a list of restores, of each
of the folders, instead of being able to restore the who set in 1 go.

UPDATE:

When I restored the home folder with 4 users, as /home to /home, the
first user had the correct uid's, and the others all had the same uid's
as the first user.

It is like the uid to restore with is getting overwritten, or not loaded
correctly.

Cheers

Fran