Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --sleep-ratio

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] --sleep-ratio
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 15:39:09 -0700

> I gather that --sleep-ratio has been removed, but I couldn't find any
> mention of why (although I'm just curious about that) or how one
> should go about replacing it.  Basically, I don't want to pound my
> disks.  Obviously, "nice" does little for disk access and because I'm
> running locally, I don't really see --remote-schema helping either.
> Any suggestions?

It wasn't obvious where to put little checks to see if rdiff-backup
should halt.  Also it made the code clunkier.

I'm sure the feature would help some people but inside rdiff-backup
didn't seem to be the place to put it.  Ideally the OS would do this:
OS is supposed to limit access to resources.  Or perhaps you could
write a script to send stop and continue signals to a running
rdiff-backup process.  Either way this might work not just with
rdiff-backup but any other disk-intensive process you might have.

--
Ben Escoto