[rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup in a Windows Environment.

From: Brian Moses
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup in a Windows Environment.
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:55:23 -0600

I’m very interested in using rdiff-backup to backup files off of my Windows XP computer.

I checked out the FAQ (http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/FAQ.html#windows) and downloaded Cygwin.  I’ve managed to install Cygwin, made sure Python was version 2.2 or later and downloaded/compiled the librsync libraries.

However, I’ve run into a roadblock, and I believe that it has to do with this step of the FAQ:

               Cygwin does not use/provide glibc. Because of this, you have to repoint
               some header files in the Makefile:

   -- Make sure that you have /usr/include/inttypes.h
      redirected to /usr/include/sys/types.h. Do this by:

      create a file /usr/include/inttypes.h with the contents:
      #include <sys/types.h>

Anyways, /usr/include/inttypes.h already exists in this installation on Cygwin.  I tried both adding the line “#include <sys/types.h>” to the existing inttypes.h and I also tried replacing the current inttypes.h with a file that only contained a line saying “#include <sys/types.h>”.

Whenever I try and run the setup.py it gets quite angry, I get a host of errors starting with “librsyncmodule.c” error messages.

I’m not so good at fixing these things, I’d appreciate if anyone can steer me in the right direction.