Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: what can I do if all goes wrong?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Re: what can I do if all goes wrong?
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:41:29 -0800

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:41:57 +0100 Farkas Levente <address@hidden> wrote:
> Troels Arvin wrote:

> >>exactly this was our problem too!
> >
> > Interesting; did you also switch to winter-time this weekend? - In that
> > case: Did you also back up while the switch happened?
>
> I don't know. actulay the winter-time switch was from saturday to sunday
> 3->2 hour, but I don't what can cause this. and the backup can run
> during this time.
>
> > The switch meant that the local time 02:21:43 occurred twice, as I
> > understand it. Even though the unix time shouldn't have changed, could it
> > somehow affect how librsync or python works?
>
> ben?

Well, there's definitely something wrong, because I see it on my
system.  Unfortunately I'm not sure if the problem is python, or if I
just can't understand the python documentation.  Perhaps you two can
verify this also.

--------------------------------
~ $ python
Python 2.2.1 (#1, Aug 30 2002, 12:15:30)
[GCC 3.2 20020822 (Red Hat Linux Rawhide 3.2-4)] on linux2
>>> import time
>>> time.daylight
1
>>> time.timezone/3600.0
8.0
>>> time.altzone/3600.0
7

This shows that my system thinks that the normal timezone is 8 hours
ahead of UTC, and during daylight savings it is 7 hours ahead.  That's
correct, except it also thinks that daylight savings is still in
effect, when in reality it just ended.

So on my system the problem seems to be that python still thinks it's
daylight savings time.  Are you seeing something similar?

--
Ben Escoto