ratpoison-devel

Re: Execute a bash command in ratpoison

From: Martin Samuelsson
Subject: Re: Execute a bash command in ratpoison
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 10:18:54 +0100

David Trombly @ 2019-11-11 (Monday), 06:24 (+0300)

I was wondering if it would be possible to display the contents of a bash
script inside Ratpoison.

Likely, the command you're looking for is "echo". Try e.g.:

 ratpoison --command "echo $HOME `whoami`"

Documentation available at:

https://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/doc/The-Status-Bar.html#The-Status-Bar

Hope that'll get you started!

I coded my own menu in bash, using bash color codes, and I thought it might be possible
to view it inside Ratpoison. I've tried the straight exec command, and it escapes with an
error code "(1)".

This might disappoint you, but ratpoison does not parse colour codes. So they will not work in the bar.

If ratpoison reports a script to finish with an error code, that's because the script did. Try debugging it in a terminal at first. Executing it there should yield the same result as starting it with ratpoison's exec. There's no magic involved when launching.

I'm assuming it's possible, since ratmen is based in bash as well too.
I can post the code if you need me to, it's fairly basic echo commands with color codes
and "#" used as borders and seperators as well.
Any ideas?

Maybe looking at http://ratpoison.wxcvbn.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl can bring some insight and inspiration? Especially the script section.