qemu-riscv

Re: [RFC 0/3] Introduce a new Qemu machine for RISC-V

From: Alistair Francis
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] Introduce a new Qemu machine for RISC-V
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 19:36:51 +1000

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 5:57 PM Atish Patra <atishp@atishpatra.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 5:26 PM Atish Patra <atishp@atishpatra.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 9:51 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@redhat.com>
> > wrote:

> Any other thoughts ?

I don't *love* this idea. I think the virt machine is useful, but I'm
not convinced we need a second one.

This feels a little bit more like a "none" machine, as it contains
just the bare minimum to work.

> > > I would ask what you see as the long term future usage for 'virt' vs
> > > 'minic' machine types ? Would you expect all existing users of 'virt'
> > > to ultimately switch to 'minic', or are there distinct non-overlapping
> > > use cases for 'virt' vs 'minic' such that both end up widely used ?
> > >

> > Nope. I don't expect existing 'virt' users to switch to 'minic' as
> > they aim to cater to different users.
> >
> > Here are the major differences
> > 1. virt machine supports MMIO devices & wired interrupts. Minic doesn't

This seems like the main difference

> > 2. virt machine doesn't support the MSI only option yet (can be added
> > though[1]). Minic does.

This could be fixed

> > 3. Number of cpu supported by virt machine are limited because of the
> > MMIO devices. Minic can scale to very
> > large numbers of cpu.

Similar to 1

> > 4. 'Minic' only supports PCI based MSI capable devices. Thus, MSI is a
> > mandatory requirement for 'minic' while
> > it is optional for 'virt'.

I'm not fully convinced we need this, but it also doesn't seem to cost
us a lot in terms of maintenance. It would be beneficial if we could
share a bit more of the code. Can we share the socket creation code as
well?

I don't like the name minic though. What about something like
`virt-hpc`, `virt-pcie-minimal` or something like that? That way we
indicate it's still a virt board

Alistair