qemu-riscv

Re: [Qemu-riscv] [PULL] RISC-V Patches for 4.2-rc2

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-riscv] [PULL] RISC-V Patches for 4.2-rc2
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 12:11:10 +0100

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 12:03, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> This passes the 'make check' tests but it prints out a lot
> of warnings as it does so:
>
> qemu-system-riscv64: warning: No -bios option specified. Not loading a
> firmware.
> qemu-system-riscv64: warning: This default will change in QEMU 4.3.
> Please use the -bios option to aviod breakages when this happens.
> qemu-system-riscv64: warning: See QEMU's deprecation documentation for details
>
> (repeated 7 or 8 times during the course of a test run)
>
> Can we make the tests not trigger warnings, please?
> (I have a filter where I search through for strings like
> "warning" because warnings that shouldn't happen often don't
> actually cause the tests to fail.)

Forgot to mention, but a common way to do this is to say
"don't print the warnings about bios image loading if
qtest_enabled(), because with qtest we never execute any
guest code anyway". That will probably fix the warnings here.

> Also, I notice that you have a typo: "aviod" should be "avoid".

Also also, the warning message mentions "QEMU 4.3", but our
versioning system bumps the major version every year, so
the pending release is 4.1, the next one will be 4.2, and
then the release after that will be 5.0 because it will be the
first release in 2020.

(Plus, your merge commit message says this pullreq is
for 4.2-rc2, which is a typo for 4.1-rc2 I assume.)

Since this pullreq does pass the tests, and rc2 is not far off
now (Tuesday), I think my suggestion is that I'll apply this
as-is, and we should fix up the issues with the warning messages
as a followup patch. I think that's better than holding this
out of master and making it risk missing rc2.

thanks
-- PMM