qemu-ppc

Re: Editing QEMU POWER Platform wiki page

From: Leonardo Augusto Guimarães Garcia
Subject: Re: Editing QEMU POWER Platform wiki page
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 18:18:08 -0300

On 2/22/21 8:01 AM, Greg Kurz wrote:
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:16:25 -0300
Leonardo Augusto Guimarães Garcia <lagarcia@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

Hi there,

I would like to edit the wiki page at [0] as it contains some outdated
information. Could anyone that has access to the wiki please help me
create a user so that I can edit it?

0. https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/POWER

Hi Leo,

User creation isn't publicly available to avoid spam : only an existing
user can create a new account.

Yeah, I saw that. That's why I asked here.

This being said, wiki isn't the preferred
way to expose documentation since there's no review and things ultimately
bitrot. Page [0] you want to update is a perfect example of the mess :
not only it contains irrelevant data but also stuff that is definitely
wrong (e.g. 'compat' cpu property was deprecated in QEMU 5.0 and will
be removed in QEMU 6.0).

Ideally we'd want everything to be in the main QEMU doc and don't
even need a wiki.

On the PowerPC front, the most up-to-date docs are in the QEMU tree:

docs/system/ppc/embedded.rst
docs/system/ppc/powermac.rst
docs/system/ppc/powernv.rst
docs/system/ppc/prep.rst
docs/system/ppc/pseries.rst
docs/system/target-ppc.rst

So I don't know exactly what changes you had in mind, but maybe first
consider to update the main documentation.

I got here because someone pointed to me the wiki is saying that nested virtualization is not supported on Power, which is wrong. But I saw many other outdated information on the wiki as you pointed out.

On my side, I think I want do ditch all the current content and just put
links to https://qemu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ instead. I can take care
of that, in which case you wouldn't need an account.

I agree this would be the preferable way. Could you go ahead and do that, please, if others agree as well?

Cheers,

Leo

Cheers,

--
Greg

PS:

Cedric reported that we also have a page for non-pseries
platforms:

https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/PowerPC

I'm Cc'ing some regular contributors for those platforms so
they can  evaluate the bitrotting status of this wiki.

Cheers,

Leo