qemu-ppc

Re: Editing QEMU POWER Platform wiki page

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: Editing QEMU POWER Platform wiki page
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 10:16:36 -0500

> On Feb 22, 2021, at 6:01 AM, Greg Kurz <groug@kaod.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:16:25 -0300
> Leonardo Augusto Guimarães Garcia <lagarcia@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I would like to edit the wiki page at [0] as it contains some outdated
>> information. Could anyone that has access to the wiki please help me
>> create a user so that I can edit it?
>>
>> 0. https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/POWER
>>

> Hi Leo,
>
> User creation isn't publicly available to avoid spam : only an existing
> user can create a new account. This being said, wiki isn't the preferred
> way to expose documentation since there's no review and things ultimately
> bitrot. Page [0] you want to update is a perfect example of the mess :
> not only it contains irrelevant data but also stuff that is definitely
> wrong (e.g. 'compat' cpu property was deprecated in QEMU 5.0 and will
> be removed in QEMU 6.0).
>
> Ideally we'd want everything to be in the main QEMU doc and don't
> even need a wiki.
>
> On the PowerPC front, the most up-to-date docs are in the QEMU tree:
>
> docs/system/ppc/embedded.rst
> docs/system/ppc/powermac.rst
> docs/system/ppc/powernv.rst
> docs/system/ppc/prep.rst
> docs/system/ppc/pseries.rst
> docs/system/target-ppc.rst
>
> So I don't know exactly what changes you had in mind, but maybe first
> consider to update the main documentation.
>
> On my side, I think I want do ditch all the current content and just put
> links to https://qemu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ instead. I can take care
> of that, in which case you wouldn't need an account.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Greg
>
> PS:
>
> Cedric reported that we also have a page for non-pseries
> platforms:
>
> https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/PowerPC
>
> I'm Cc'ing some regular contributors for those platforms so
> they can  evaluate the bitrotting status of this wiki.
>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Leo

Admittedly the wiki page for POWER is very unfriendly looking. I think it
should be completely rewritten.

This format should work better:

- Description
   - IBM POWER system emulator

- Build Directions
   - configure --target-list=ppc64-softmmu && make

- Suggested Command-line
   - qemu-system-ppc64 -cpu POWER9 -machine pseries -m 2G -serial mon:stdio \
        -cdrom <cd image file> -hda <hard drive image file> -boot d

- Links
   - Linux iso files
   - AIX iso ?
   - https://worthdoingbadly.com/aixqemu/
   - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlajaCWvcdw - AIX 7.2 in QEMU

- Pictures
   - Linux running in the POWER VM
   - AIX running in the POWER VM
   - Any games running in one of the above VM's
   - Productivity software like OpenOffice in the VM

- Contacts
   - < maintainers' contact info >

If you want I could update the wiki page for you. I just would need help with
verifying the above information.