qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Status of mac99?

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Status of mac99?
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 11:22:11 -0500

On Mar 5, 2015, at 5:18 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Hi,

Should the mac99 machine be able to boot OS X 10.4 in its current status in
the git repository? Searching the list archives it seems it was, at least
sometime in the past. And what about the mac99 with 970 (G5) CPU? Can it
boot 10.4?

Is there some list stating what's already implemented and what's not?

Thanks!

ardi

The mac99 target has been known to be "broken" for a while. A lot of effort was put into making it better last year. Having just tried my Mac OS 10.4 boot cd in the mac99 target, it stopped booting and displayed the circle with the line thru it. In verbose mode, the message "still waiting for root device" is displayed for my Mac OS 10.2 boot cd. The G5 emulation doesn't receive very much attention, so I wouldn't expect much from it. It will probably fail to boot Mac OS 10.4 also.

I don't know of a to-do list for the mac99 target. The closest thing I have found is this post from Alexander Graf stating his findings with the emulator:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-06/msg05531.html