qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] PPC System emulation optimization

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] PPC System emulation optimization
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:53:09 -0700

Hi Duc,

On 29.10.2013, at 15:24, TRUONG Duc <address@hidden> wrote:

> Classification: Open
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> We are trying to emulate a PPC server with a custom kernel, rootfs and
> application software.  Our PPC server is actually a quadcore Freescale PPC,
> but I was not able to successfully run the MPC8544DS machine with qemu PPC
> system emulator.

That one should work just fine. What breaks for you?

> So instead I recompiled our kernel for g3beige and use our rootfs and
> application software to run the qemu PPC system emulator.  Since we have
> custom kernel and rootfs that the application software depends on, I don’t
> think that I can use the Linux-user target mode in QEMU.

Well, it might be worth to just emulate your kernel hooks in linux-user. Or run
on real hardware ;).

> In your opinion, how difficult would it be to modify the QEMU PPC system
> emulator to perform faster?  My company would like to identify the effort
> needed and the right persons that we can contact about this work.

It heavily depends on what you consider "perform faster". There are a few
reasonably low hanging fruits like tagged TLBs which should bump performance by
maybe 10% that can be done by someone who knows the code base well within
weeks. For host multi-core usage you're looking at roughly a 2-3 year research
project.

Alex