qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] PPC System emulation optimization

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] PPC System emulation optimization
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 14:57:58 -0700

Hi Duc,

Am 29.10.2013 um 14:45 schrieb TRUONG Duc <address@hidden>:

Classification: Open

Hi,

We are using the qemu PPC system emulator with machine type g3beige to run an image with Fedora for PPC and our custom application software (cross-compiled for ppc).  Our host machine is a x86 Linux with i7 CPU.  Our application software has many processes and threads which makes the emulator run very slow.  Currently we are using QEMU version 1.3.0, but I also tried the newer versions (1.6.1) and have not noticed any significant performance improvements.

Are there any areas where the qemu PPC system emulator can be optimized to run faster?  Alternatively, is it possible to have the qemu PPC system emulator utilize more one host CPU core?  Currently, the qemu PPC system emulator uses 100% of a single host core when running our application software.  It seems like the emulator could run faster if it were to utilize all the host CPU cores.

Not easily with the system emulator. However, it sounds as for your use case you could just as well ise the Linux-user target mode of QEMU.

Have you tried that one instead yet?

Alex

Thanks,

Duc Truong

[@@OPEN@@]

This email was classified by
TRUONG Duc on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:46:18 PM.