qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Adding canyonlands/460EX support to QEMU in qemu-system-p

From: Allen Kneser
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Adding canyonlands/460EX support to QEMU in qemu-system-ppc
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:22:44 -0500

Right, that is true, bad wording on my part :) I need to do this because I don't want to buy one or two more canyonlands. In my initial post, I mentioned I have a canyonlands, but I need a "virtual" one also.

Also, emulating two or more canyonlands on an actual canyonlands board would not be fast enough for my purposes, so that's why I was hoping to get the emulation running fast on x86.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Alexander Graf <address@hidden> wrote:

On 25.02.2013, at 21:19, Allen Kneser wrote:

>  > Correct. But if you have a canyonlands board you can run KVM on that one and execute a lot of the instructions natively.
>
> I see :) Unfortunately, this would defeat my purpose of emulating a canyonlands without buying one.

Why would you want to do kernel development for the canyonlands board without having one?

QEMU will not be 100% accurate in its emulation, so it'd be a bad idea to not verify that what you did actually works on real hardware. You can also ignore any performance indications you might get out of the emulation - it's very very skewed.

Alex