qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Booting AIX on qemu-system-ppc, kernel not started succes

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Booting AIX on qemu-system-ppc, kernel not started successfully
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:10:37 +0100

Am Tue, 21 Feb 2012 19:52:50 +0800
schrieb Liang Guo <address@hidden>:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM, David Gibson
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>   qemu-system-ppc64 -cpu POWER7 -machine pseries -m 1024 -serial stdio \
> >>   -cdrom /u01/vm/CDlatest.iso -monitor \
> >>   unix:/tmp/ppc64-aix,server,nowait -nographic
> >
> > The pseries machine is not a complete PAPR implementation.  It's
> > enough for Linux guests, but it's probably missing pieces that AIX
> > requires.  I'm afraid there are no plans to implement support for AIX
> > guests.
> >
> I want find which pieces are missing, if it not too much, I can do my
> best to add the feature.
>
> SLOF, the opensource firmware used by qemu, can boot AIX in a
> js20/js21, so I think qemu is near to boot AIX now.

Are you sure that you can run AIX on a JS20 or JS21 when you've
installed SLOF there? I thought that AIX only runs with the original
firmware and that SLOF could only load Linux there - especially since
SLOF does not provide a hypervisor there which is necessary for AIX, as
far as I know (but I might be wrong here, I've never really been in
touch with AIX so far).

 Thomas