Re: dropping 32-bit host support

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: dropping 32-bit host support
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:31:33 +0000

Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu@gmail.com> writes:

<snip>
>   has been
>  that of contempt ("the project needs different developer culture")
>
> This was probably badly worded - I mean culture of dividing all patches into
> very  small pieces and running
> full compile pipeline on each  nano-change  very often.
>
> I consider this bad idea, from cpu time/energy consumption standpoint.

We don't do that. The pipeline is run on each pull request which can be
anything from a few patches to a few hundred. And the reason is obvious
because we are guarding against introducing regressions which prior to
the CI system were very painful to bisect, especially if detected a long
time after their introduction.

We welcome patches to improve the situation but they require careful
analysis of what code coverage each test has before reducing potential
duplication of CI effort. We have already made some efforts towards this
during the 8.0 cycle however fundamentally the reason our test matrix is
so wide is because we are supporting a very wide range of host
architectures, operating systems and build configurations.

--
Alex Bennée
Virtualisation Tech Lead @ Linaro