Re: dropping 32-bit host support

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: dropping 32-bit host support
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 09:36:22 +0100

On 16/03/2023 09.07, Liviu Ionescu wrote:

On 16 Mar 2023, at 09:57, Liviu Ionescu <ilg@livius.net> wrote:

I'm not targeting RPi2; there are a lot of RPi4 with less than 8GB RAM (most of
them, actually), and even more RPi3, with even less RAM), and people prefer to
continue using the 32-bit OS on them, which works quite fine;

Like it or not, as long as Raspberry does not explicitly deprecate the 32-bit
OS, people will continue to use it, and for good reasons.

As of now, it is even 'Our recommended operating system for most users.':

I'd say "most users" != "the people who want to run QEMU here". If you really really want to run QEMU on such a system, you can also install a 64-bit OS there.

Please also consider that we're only talking about marking the 32-bit arm hosts as deprecated in our docs right now. It will take another year (or maybe more) until the deprecation will turn into a real unsupported state. I assume by that point in time, more and more RPi users will have switched to a 64-bit OS instead.

 Thomas