Re: qemu running uefi problem

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: qemu running uefi problem
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 17:01:17 +0000

On Sun, 12 Mar 2023 at 16:25, Ahlani Poacher <bjerkanofswqxp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, sorry to bother you, I'm a qemu beginner. I want to use QEMU
> to emulate Lenovo's UEFI firmware, but so far I have only found a
> tutorial for QEMU to run EDK2 to implement UEFI. I would like to
> ask how to convert the UEFI executable downloaded from Lenovo's
> official website to a QEMU compliant format to emulate Lenovo UEFI
> using QEMU.

In general, you can't run a UEFI firmware image from real hardware
on QEMU. The things the firmware will try to do are very low
level and it will assume that it's running on a Lenovo laptop,
which is not exactly the same hardware that QEMU provides.
Even if you figured out how to extract a binary blob from whatever
wrapper Lenovo puts it in for downloading, it would just crash
if you tried to run it in QEMU.

You should run a UEFI image that is compiled to know it is
running on QEMU, like the EDK2 one.

thanks