Macvtap devices?

From: X Tec
Subject: Macvtap devices?
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 18:17:16 -0500

I have used the -netdev tap,[...] options before, though almost exclusively for
bridged networking.

I understand this setup uses tap (or tun/tap?) virtual devices for the virtual
machines.

But, what are "macvtap" devices really?
I saw the term while reading some libvirt docs for comparison purposes; they
particularly seem to favor these devices...
But even after internet searching I was not able to understand them.

So, if someone could help,
What are they, or what's their difference with "normal" tap devices commonly
used in QEMU?
Are macvtap devices supported in QEMU? How can one use them?

Thanks beforehand.