Re: qemu-nbd acting as a server or not ?

From: Connor Kuehl
Subject: Re: qemu-nbd acting as a server or not ?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 19:40:01 -0500

re-adding the list

On Thu Apr 28, 2022 at 6:51 PM CDT, Bob Power wrote:
>  Hi Connor,
> While I'm using the qcow2 image as nbd0 - ie while it is mounted and I am
> accessing files - so client not hung up and something still running to
> interface between the qcow2 image and the system, there does not appear to be
> any nbd service operating.

Yeah, my suspicion is that as part of creating /dev/nbd0, the kernel
gets all of the information it needs from the qemu-nbd process and is
then self-sufficient and therefore it hangs up on qemu-nbd and qemu-nbd
exits. Just a guess.

Have you tried seeing if qemu-nbd remains up to serve other clients if
you use the -p or --persistent flag?

        qemu-nbd -c /dev/nbd0 -p test.qcow2

--
Connor