P2V Disk2vhd VHDX

From: Alen192
Subject: P2V Disk2vhd VHDX
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 19:34:50 +0200

Hi to all,

today i virtualized my windows notebook with disk2vhd.

I obtained a vhdx file that i am able to mount with guestmount command as you can see below.

utente@pc:/media$ guestfish --ro -a /media/utente/Seagate\ Backup\ Plus\ Drive/
$RECYCLE.BIN/ Nuova cartella/
FILM/ STEFANIA/
[FreeAllCourse.Com] Udemy - CompTIA Network+ (N10-007) Full Course & Practice Exam/ System Volume Information/
disco.VHDX
utente@pc:/media$ guestfish --ro -a /media/utente/Seagate\ Backup\ Plus\ Drive/disco.VHDX

Welcome to guestfish, the guest filesystem shell for
editing virtual machine filesystems and disk images.

Type: ‘help’ for help on commands
‘man’ to read the manual
‘quit’ to quit the shell

><fs> run
100%
><fs> list-filesystem
list-filesystem: unknown command
><fs> list-filesystems
/dev/sda1: ntfs
/dev/sda2: ntfs
/dev/sda3: ntfs
/dev/sda5: unknown
/dev/sda6: unknown
/dev/sda7: unknown
/dev/sda8: unknown
/dev/sda9: unknown
><fs> exit

utente@pc:/media$ sudo guestmount -a /media/utente/Seagate\ Backup\ Plus\ Drive/disco.VHDX -m /dev/sda
sda sda1 sda2 sda3
utente@pc:/media$ sudo guestmount -a /media/utente/Seagate\ Backup\ Plus\ Drive/disco.VHDX -m /dev/sda1 --ro /mnt/
[sudo] password for utente:
utente@pc:/media$ ls /mnt
ls: cannot access '/mnt': Permission denied
utente@pc:/media$ sudo ls /mnt
'$RECYCLE.BIN' boot bootmgr BOOTNXT Recovery _SMSTSVolumeID.7159644d-f741-45d5-ab29-0ad8aa4771ca 'System Volume Information'
utente@pc:/media$ umount /mnt
umount: /mnt: Permission denied
utente@pc:/media$ sudo umount /mnt
utente@pc:/media$ sudo guestmount -a /media/utente/Seagate\ Backup\ Plus\ Drive/disco.VHDX -m /dev/sda2 --ro /mnt/
utente@pc:/media$ sudo ls /mnt
'$Recycle.Bin' Dell hiberfil.sys MSOCache PerfLogs 'Program Data Unprotected' 'Program Files Unprotected' Programmi Recovery swapfile.sys temp Windows
Config.Msi 'Documents and Settings' Intel pagefile.sys ProgramData 'Program Files' 'Program Files (x86)' Quarantine StopProc.bat 'System Volume Information' Users
utente@pc:/media$ sudo umount /mnt
utente@pc:/media$ sudo guestmount -a /media/utente/Seagate\ Backup\ Plus\ Drive/disco.VHDX -m /dev/sda3 --ro /mnt/
utente@pc:/media$ sudo ls /mnt
'System Volume Information'
utente@pc:/media$

When i create my vm on virt-manager with qemu using uefi the hypervisor does not recognized boot partition and other partition in the disk, in interactive shell of uefi i unable to find fs0 and i see only BLK0.

If i stard my-vm with an iso like rescatux or other distribution the virtual disk on the virtual machine seems does not have any partition. fdisk show me the virtual disk with no partiotion table. I already try to convert in qcow2 and the result is the same.

Where i wrong?

Thanks a lot