How to create a Raspberry QEMU VM emulating the physical hardware as clo

From: Finch01
Subject: How to create a Raspberry QEMU VM emulating the physical hardware as close as possible
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 09:01:01 +0100

Hello everyone, I have a Raspberry Pi 4 model B v1.4 with 8GB RAM, and I need to create a VM in it as close to the physical hardware as possible (no need to be the exact RPi4 hardware, RPi3 or RPi2 would also work).The reason is because I need to run this semi-closed software which comes only in a bootable SD image: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-imageThe host RPi is running Devuan Chimaera 4.0 (systemd-less Debian Bullseye derivative) and I'm using the QEMU v6.1 packages straight from its backports repo.I've got so far as to extracting the image and trying to run it with         qemu-system-arm -M raspi2b -vnc :50 -drive file=~/tape/victron/venusos_rpi/venus-image-raspberrypi2-20210411203709-v2.66.rootfs.rpi-sdimg,format=raw,index=0,media=diskThe result is that the QEMU process starts and keeps running, and I can connect via VNC to port 5950 to see the VM screen, but VNC shows only a black screen. What am I doing wrong? Has anyone managed to emulate a physical RPi in QEMU yet?Additionally, hints on how to debug this or other things to try would be most welcome.Cheers, --  Durval Menezes.

Hello Durval

I recently had a similar Problem. I also tried to build a raspi vm using a bootimage. Here is Peter Maydell told me to solve my Problem.

"The raspi3b machine does not have a default BIOS/firmware image
or any emulation of it, so it cannot boot directly from a
disk image. You'll need to directly pass a kernel/initrd/devicetree
to QEMU, I think. "

According to this i found a Step by Step Guide which actually worked fine. Altough it's related to emulating a raspi2b, i think it may help you as well as it does for me.
Here is the link: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-run-the-raspberry-pi-os-in-a-virtual-machine-with-qemu-and-kvm

Regards John Klein