ProductID of QEMU standard usb keyboard in Guest OS (Mac)

From: seabat gmail
Subject: ProductID of QEMU standard usb keyboard in Guest OS (Mac)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 03:04:42 +0900

Host: Mac OS Monterey on M1 Macbook pro (Japanese),

Emulation program: UTM.app (3.0.4, qemu 6.2)

Guest: Mac OS El Capitan, Japanese

Issue/Question:

In the "Guest" OS (Mac El Capitan), the usb keyboard is understood as the U.S. keyboard "physically". Even after the keyboard choice to Japanese (JIS) with the Keyboard assistance, the "physical" layout is US(*1) in the Preference>Keyboard>Input source. The Keyboard assistance is to choose the keymap assignment but not the "physical" keyboard (*2).

(*1) In the "Host", the "physical" keyboard layout in the Preference>Keyboard>Input source is Japanese (JIS) which is correctly assigned as the physical keyboard is Japanese (JIS).
(*2) Where the Guest OS is Windows or Linux (Ubuntu), it is resolved; it seems the keyboard choice is the choice of a "physical" keyboard (with the keymap assignment).

In the Guest OS (Mac), two keys ("¥/|" and "_/_" (lower/upper key)) are unresponsive because these keys are non-existent in the "physical" US keyboard. This must be a well-known issue but I have not found in the web a proper instruction to resolve it, so far.

I have been struggling to change the "physical" keyboard (from US to JIS) in the "Guest" OS, but so far no solution. It seems the "understanding" of the "physical" keyboard is buried in the hard coding of the OS, which I guess is based on the "Product ID" (together with "Vendor ID"(?)) of the keyboard...

The virtualization/emulation program, UTM (qemu), generates a usb keyboard (it is said "standard USB keyboard") with the product id 0x0001 (with the vendorid 0x0627). I have searched a way to change the value of the product id, but no vain.

Question: is there a way to change the product id (of the "standard USB keyboard"), or to define another keyboard with any product id?