sparsed block copy from a host_device to rbd

From: Jiatong Shen
Subject: sparsed block copy from a host_device to rbd
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:15:34 +0800

Hello community,

  I would like to ask if there is a way to do a sparse blockdev-mirror from a host_device to ceph RBD object. I saw rbd driver has already implemented write_zeroes as well as block_status such that a blockdev-mirror rbd object from one ceph pool to another is sparsed but when I try to block-copy from SAN based mulitpath device mapper (host_device) to RBD, the rbd image is still filled with zeroes. Right now, my workaround seems to enable detect_zeroes and make granularity larger than rbd object size (2^22 for example). but detect_zeroes will on the other hand causes intensive  unnecessary computations.
   after skimming through the code base, my current impression is that host_device does not implement with a block_status method so somehow it could not determine holes.

  My question is there way to determine if a host_device is sparsed? or if it not possible, is it possible to switch on detect_zeroes during blocdev-mirror and disable it when the copy completes? thank you.

--

Best Regards,

Jiatong Shen