fbdev2

From: Kjell
Subject: fbdev2
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 23:38:41 +0200

Howdy,

I hate to ask stupid questions in the wrong places, but I just can't find anything and it puzzles me. Forgive me any ignorance too please.

Is it possible, or would it be, to be able to run qemu (qemu-kvm) without X in the framebuffer using the same fbdev2 option that mplayer uses or in a similar way?

I don't know how fbdev2 works, but it's a project related to gstreamer and not Xorg. Probably the input/output needs/demands for a guest VM is not at all the same as a video, and it wouldn't solve the issues of input devices (although gpm).

I know Qemu is alot of things, but for my limited scope/use it seems like it would be a real nice way to be able to run qemu-kvm and have a variety of interesting use cases.

Thanks for reading,
Kjell