Re: Installing and running ubuntu on arm64/virt machine (Guest has not i

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Installing and running ubuntu on arm64/virt machine (Guest has not initialized the display (yet).")
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 11:09:55 +0100

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 10:45, <ckim@etri.re.kr> wrote:

> Hi, Peter Maydell,(and all)
>
> Thank you for the explanation (I was aware of the two pass run though).
> But I have a question about the serial port connection.
>
> > You'll probably find it easier to debug if you use a serial console; that
> > way you'll be able to see the guest booting and log in and can debug
> > what's going on a bit better from there. In particular, the installer does
> > *not* use the graphics device, so you will absolutely need to find out
> > where it's putting the serial output in order to use the installer.
>
> When I pass -kernel=  option, I can pass the serial port to connect using
> -append = ".." option.
> But in this case, (I have only -cdrom and -drive option), how can I know the
> serial port the install program on the CDROM uses?

I hadn't noticed that. That's what your problem is. For x86 QEMU,
you can supply just a drive and expect it to boot, but for aarch64
QEMU you can't do that, because QEMU will not load a bios image
by default. You need to either (a) supply a kernel directly or
(b) pass a UEFI bios image (eg via the -bios option) which will
then know how to read the disk.

General rule: you cannot just take a tutorial/command line for
x86 and just change it to qemu-system-aarch64 and expect it to work.

It is definitely possible to boot an aarch64 distro from CDROM
media and install it, but you need to find an *aarch64* tutorial
and follow it.

thanks