Re: Installing and running ubuntu on arm64/virt machine (Guest has not i

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Installing and running ubuntu on arm64/virt machine (Guest has not initialized the display (yet).")
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 10:33:26 +0100

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 10:08, <ckim@etri.re.kr> wrote:

> Hi, list members,
>

> While investigating how I can install ubuntu on a qemu virtual machine, I
> found
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/884534/how-to-run-ubuntu-desktop-on-qemu .
>
> So I found how to install the OS onto a hard disk using CDROM, and then boot
> from the OS installed hard disk as in real computer. Very interesting.
>
> And I tried ubuntu 18.04.5 on arm64/virt machine (I used the original virt
> machine).
>
> The script is below (modified for my case). (configured with –enable-gtk
> option)

> I separately downloaded ubuntu-20.04.2-live-server-arm64.iso from
> https://ubuntu.com/download/server/arm so the first wget command is not
> executed.
>
> When I first run the script, I see a qemu monitor window. And I type ‘quit’,
> and then another window comes up saying “Guest has not initialized the
> display (yet).”
>
> What is wrong with this script? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

"Guest has not initialized the display" generally means "the guest
hasn't made any attempt to turn on the graphics". Maybe it doesn't
have the virtio-gpu device support compiled in, or maybe the guest
OS is just not configured to use graphics.

You'll probably find it easier to debug if you use a serial console;
that way you'll be able to see the guest booting and log in and
can debug what's going on a bit better from there. In particular,
the installer does *not* use the graphics device, so you will
absolutely need to find out where it's putting the serial output
in order to use the installer.

Also, if you type "quit" at a QEMU monitor that tells QEMU to
exit, which is going to stop whatever your guest was trying to
do... The script runs QEMU twice, so you 'quit' the "run the
installer" QEMU instance, and the script then proceeded to the
"run the installed OS" QEMU, which of course sits there doing
nothing because you killed the attempt to install.

If you re-run the script you'll need to delete the disk image,
because that's what it uses as its "do I need to run the installer"
check. It might be simpler just to run the QEMU command manually.

thanks