Re: Masking all interrupts in TCG mode

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Masking all interrupts in TCG mode
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 11:34:50 +0100

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 04:17, Arnabjyoti Kalita
<akalita@cs.stonybrook.edu> wrote:
> Is there a way to mask all interrupts in the TCG mode of QEMU execution? How
> should I go about doing that in code?
>
> Scenario:
>
> I start the QEMU process in KVM mode and then do a savevm. I load the saved
> QEMU state in TCG mode. I'd like all the interrupts to be disabled/masked
> when I do a load of the saved VM state.

When the VM state is being saved or restored the VM should
be in the 'stopped' state, so no interrupts will occur
during the saving and loading process.

When the VM is restarted after the restore, the guest
interrupt state will be whatever the VM state information
you restored said it should be. If you randomly mask
interrupts that the guest isn't expecting to be masked,
the guest is likely to hang.

thanks