Re: Display in qemu issue

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Display in qemu issue
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 14:36:16 +0100

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 22:23, Steven Walker <steven.a.walker@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using qemu 4.2-3 on linux mint 20. I am trying to set up a vm for
> freedos. When I had this setup on 32 bit, I was using an sdl display...but
> now it seems to go to a vnc server on 127.0.0.1:5900 and then it runs the
> installation iso. Once Installed through the vnc it give me no access to
> either sdl or gtk. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue and run my
> display on sdl - like it did (and still does) through 32 bit?

Did you build your own QEMU binary, or are you using a distro
provided one? QEMU will by default use the "best" display option
it was compiled to support, and VNC is the fallback. If the SDL
libraries/headers weren't available when QEMU was compiled, SDL
support will be disabled and so you'll end up with VNC instead.

You can probably check for this by trying to run QEMU with
the option '-sdl' -- if it says "SDL support is disabled" then
QEMU wasn't compiled with SDL support, and you'll need to
rebuild it or get whoever did build it to rebuild it.

Handy hint: if you pass configure the '--enable-sdl' option
then it will give you an error message if you're missing the
necessary headers/include files, so you can fix the problem,
rather than just silently producing an SDL-disabled build.

thanks