qemu-img with older ganeti.

From: jameslipski
Subject: qemu-img with older ganeti.
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 00:05:51 +0000

Greeting mailing list,

I'm not sure who to turn to about this; hopefully I'm posting in the correct place.

Just for some background info, one server is using a really old version of Ganeti (2.2) (server cannot be updated at the moment). I do have some servers that are using a somewhat newer version of Ganeti (2.10).

With the servers running a newer versions of Ganeti, using gnt-backup export, I'm able to convert the .snap files it generates to different disk formats via qemu-img convert command (since it creates images in a raw format anyway).

The problem is the old server running the older version of Ganeti, gnt-backup compresses the images (gzip, it cannot do raw via gnt-backup) and I cannot seem to convert using the convert command (no errors, it looks like it's working with the -p option). My first inclination as it compresses it to gzip was to gunzip it; however that doesn't work (states not a gzip file) unless I'm doing it wrong.

When I do a "qemu-img info" on the file that the older version of ganeti generates, it outputs as:

image: d7f9810e-c162-4cca-bc48-27d6d870c1c0.disk0_data.snap
file format: raw
virtual size: 3.1G (3285575680 bytes)
disk size: 3.1G

The virtual disk itself should be roughly 7GB.

Is there anyway to expand this/ use qemu-img with this image?

I'm trying to avoid doing a chain conversion (export from old ganeti and import new version of ganeti and then export again, and convert via qemu), and I cannot update the old system.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.