tap network interface

From: Chris Ward
Subject: tap network interface
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 17:12:26 +0100

I'm trying to test a new NIC from a virtual machine.

The NIC has 2 ports which are connected by a loopback connector. These ports are available as eth0 and eth1 on the host machine.

I have configured the guest machine with a virtio-net interface.

The new NIC isn't the default route from the host machine; I have another NIC for that.

I would like to use tap networking, as I think that should offer the best performance. I followed the instructions at https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking to configure a bridge in the host, and I currently have
 -netdev tap,id=n1,br=br0 -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=n1
in my qemu-system-x86_64 command (which I run as root).

But this doesn't set up networking correctly in the guest machine. I get message
W: /etc/qemu-ifup: no bridge for guest interface found

Can anyone help me get my configuration working ?

T J (Chris) Ward, IBM Research.
Scalable Data-Centric Computing - IBM Spectrum MPI
IBM United Kingdom Ltd., Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants, SO21 2JN
011-44-1962-818679
LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com/in/tjcward/
ResearchGate
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Ward16

IBM Research -- Data Centric Systems
IBM Supercomputer Marketing

IBM Branded Products IBM Branded Swag

UNIX in the Cloud - Find A Place Where There's Room To Grow, with the original Open Standard. Free Trial Here Today
Protein Folding by Supercomputer - BlueMatter Molecular Dynamics package.
Data Tables - In-memory key-value store package.
Linux on Windows - Virtualisation package. On the Lighthouse !

Unless stated otherwise above: