Re: [EXTERNAL] QEMU plugin system

From: Robert Henry
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] QEMU plugin system
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 15:32:12 +0000

Our approach to this problem was to make the plugin sensitive to the execution of well-chosen instructions to turn on/turn off the actions of the plugin. The plugin will still be called (don't unregister it) but should return immediately if the on/off state is off.  This will still slow the emulation down.

My guest ISA is arm64.  For that ISA, we made these choices; perhaps something else is better:
  asm("hint 0b0010001");  // arm64 PSB Profile Sync Buffer (turn on)
  asm("hint 0b0010010");  // arm64 TSB Trace Sync Buffer (turn off)

Put these instructions in a library and arrange to have your application call the library functions as appropriate for the application's programming language.