Re: qcow2 - How Do We Backup To A Different Hard Drive?

From: Th3R3al
Subject: Re: qcow2 - How Do We Backup To A Different Hard Drive?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 22:00:18 +0100

Hey together, Hey jesse,

doesnt know if this is a good way, but I resolved it a few days ago this
way:

- create a group (kvm-disk-access) on your local linux machine (addgroup
kvm-disk-access)

- add you to the group, add root to the group

- Change the owner of the qcow2 image dirs (chown -R
root:kvm-disk-access mydiskimages/)

- Modify the permissions accordingly (if needed)

- open the file /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf

- change the line "dynamic_ownership" (by default it is commented out)
to dynamic_ownership = 0

- restart qemu / libvirt services

-> this prevents qemu to change the permissions dynamically if you start
the VMs

Happy backing up your qcow2 images..

May someone can give a hint if this is the right direction or completely
non-sense - atleast it worked for me.

Greets

Th3R3al