Re: [Qemu-discuss] VGA choices

From: Vincenzo Romano
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] VGA choices
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 15:57:01 +0100

> On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 01:25:17PM +0100, Vincenzo Romano wrote:
>> I think the BIOS itself is preventing the curses mode to work. How
>> can I "fix"this?
>
> What's happening is that your Ubuntu VM is not using text mode.

I temporarily switched to GTK as I am not fast enough to fire my VNC
client to capture the boot
process since the beginning.
Relevant QEMU options are: "-M q35 -vga virtio".

What is actually happening is:

- the SEABIOS displays something for a fraction of a second in text mode
- the GRUB displays its boot menu for 5 seconds in text mode
- the Ubuntu server boots in text mode in less than 5 seconds
- the usual login prompt in text mode is displayed.

Apart of the BIOS screen that's so fast I cannot swear it's 100% text mode,
everything else actually IS text mode: no splash, no fancy animations.
It's a server distribution, after all.

How can I troubleshoot this situation?
How can I delay/pause the BIOS boot?

I really want the curses output, but instead I get something else (800x600!)