Re: [Qemu-discuss] Multiple snapshots with one guest user

From: Gianni Costanzi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Multiple snapshots with one guest user
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 16:16:22 +0100

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 1:34 PM, Alberto Garcia <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:23:01AM +0100, Gianni Costanzi wrote:

> what's the purpose of specifying the size when you're creating an
> image with a backing file? Is it simply ignored?

The (virtual) sizes of the new image and the backing image can be
different. If you don't specify anything then the new image will have
the same size.

Berto

Hi Alberto,
I still don't understand what it means. If I have a base image of 10 GB
with and it is almost full of data (it has a 10GB partition almost full, for
example) and then I create a new image with 2 GB of size based on the first one.
If I boot my os from the new Image I still see 10 GB partition, right? Does the fact
that it has been created specifying 2 GB of space mean that it can store
at most 2 GB of data that differs from the base image? I'll excuse myself if
it is a stupid or trivial question, I'm trying to learn a little bit about QEMU
and how it works, I hope you can solve my doubts :)

Best regards,
   Gianni Costanzi