[Qemu-discuss] Merging blocks from an overlay file containing vmstate to

From: 정복득
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Merging blocks from an overlay file containing vmstate to a backing file
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 05:36:56 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I have a question about block commit and internal vm snapshot.

I am using an overlay file to run a virtual machine.
I took a snapshot with the 'vmsave' qemu monitor command, then commited blocks
in the overlay file into the backing file after playing with my virtual machine
a while and then shutting down it.
Because every block in the overlay file merged to the backing file, I deleted
the overlay file.
After I started virtual machine with the backing file later on, I checked the
snapshot with 'info snapshots' at qemu monitor but couldn't see any snapshots
at all. Meanwhile, block commit seemed successful as I could see files that I
added while the VM was using the overlay file.

Internal snapshots with vmstate in an overlay file are not merged to the
backing file?
What should I do if I want to preserve internal snapshots into the backing file?
Is there a way that I can take a external snapshot? I am not using libvirt or
virsh.

Thanks in advance.
Bokdeuk