[Qemu-discuss] inspect the instruction fetch stream

From: Hongil Yoon
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] inspect the instruction fetch stream
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 21:47:12 -0600

Hi,

I am using QEMU to analyze memory access stream especially for instruction
fetch.
What I would like to obtain is a virtual and physical address mapping of the
instruction stream.

On memory access, softmmu part is called. So, the mapping can be obtained after
a tlb is looked up. My concern is some instructions could be missed because of
the usage of tb cache.

First, I’d like to make sure my understanding suggested below is correct:
1. Memory access for instructions occurs while translating instructions for a
new tb.
2. The tb will be kept in the tb cache for later user.
3. If the tb is looked up again, the translated instructions are processed
without any memory access.

If my understanding is correct, I think the simplest way to analyze memory
access stream is to disable tb cache (although it could slow down the system).
Is there any other simpler way to do that?

Lastly, “-singlestep” option will keep one instruction in a tb. I think some
instructions are still likely to be missed although single step is set as long
as tb cache is being used. Do you have any idea about this?

Thanks, in advance.

Best regards,

Hongil