Re: [Qemu-discuss] -drive options for a CF card; was "running a system i

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] -drive options for a CF card; was "running a system installer under QEMU"
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:38:29 -0500

> From: address@hidden

> OK, a CF card is available here to test the installation.
> Connecting it to the host by a USB adapter is easiest.  If
> necessary a CF-IDE adapter can be used.  Which is the best bet?
>
> -drive has about 15 sub-options and this is my tenative command.
>
> sudo qemu-system-i386 -fda Oberon0.Dsk \
>  -drive file=/dev/sdd,if={ide,virtio?},media=disk,cache=none \
>  -vga std -boot a
>
> Any chance that vertio will work better than ide?  Any further
> advice?

I don't know much about Qemu, but in regard to visualization in
general, I can tell that the -drive option will make *any* /dev/sd*
look like an ordinary disk to the guest OS.  So there shouldn't be any
particular interesting behavior regarding using a CF card, other than
if its speed is slow enough to cause problems.

If you want the CF card to appear to the guest OS as a CF card, you
will need to figure out "make a USB device visible to the guest OS".

Dale