Re: [Qemu-discuss] Configuring the VM's display

From: Dale R. Worley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Configuring the VM's display
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 15:34:16 -0400

> From: address@hidden (Dale R. Worley)
>
> (I'm just getting started with Qemu.)  I'd like to be able to
> configure the resolution of the VM's display so that Qemu doesn't try
> to put up an X window that is bigger than the host's display.  I can't
> find any description of how to set the display resolution that the
> VM's display adapter reports to the guest OS.
>
> In the long run, I'd like to know how to tell Qemu to use an unused
> Linux "virtual console" (virtual display, really) for the VM's
> display.

It looks like the VGA resolutions that are supported can be changed by
altering the list in the code that emulates the Cirrus VGA.

But easier than that is to direct Anaconda (the Fedora Linux
installer) to use a lower resolution.  That doesn't work as smoothly
as it should, either, but this procedure works:

    To fix this, the install system needs to run with the boot parameters
    "nomodeset resolution=1024x768".  To do this, at the start screen, use
    the arrow keys to select "Install", then type Esc.  This gives the
    prompt "boot:".  Give it the command "linux nomodeset
    resolution=1024x768", then type Return.

Since I am not installing X Windows, when I boot the resulting Linux
system, it comes up in text mode with a low resolution.

Dale