[Qemu-discuss] setup samba for file transfer

From: Mahmood Naderan
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] setup samba for file transfer
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 01:03:55 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
In order to transfer files between windows guest and linux host, I have installed samba server on the host.

$ yum list samba*
Installed Packages
samba.x86_64                                                 3.6.9-151.el6                                  @sl-security
samba-client.x86_64                                          3.6.9-151.el6                                  @sl-security
samba-common.x86_64                                          3.6.9-151.el6                                  @sl-security
samba-winbind.x86_64                                         3.6.9-151.el6                                  @sl-security
samba-winbind-clients.x86_64                                 3.6.9-151.el6                                  @sl-security

And I configured /etc/samba/smb.conf it in this way:

[smb]
comment = share
path = /media/samba_share
public = no
writable = yes
printable = no
browseable = yes
write list = mahmood vb

the share folder is

$ ls -l /media/
total 4
drwxrwxrwx. 2 root root 4096 Nov 19 06:50 samba_share

Then I run the guest windows with "-smb /media/samba_share" option.
Now in windows I get this error

System error 1231 has occurred. The network location can not be reached.

What is wrong with the configuration?

P.S: Usually I use scp and ssh for remote transfers. So if someone has a simpler option than samba please let me know.

Regards,
Mahmood