Re: [Qemu-discuss] Running different applications in separate windows or

From: Phil Ehrens
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Running different applications in separate windows or tabbed console window
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:14:22 -0700

Wolfgang Hennerbichler wrote:

> On 26.07.2013, at 22:39, "Phil Ehrens" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Power users (A lovely old term from the 90's) will run "screen" in their
> > Linux consoles: http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
> > once you start using it, you will look down and snort with derision at
> > those who have not yet discovered the wonder of 'screen'.
>
> And when you've realized that screen eats all your memory you will switch to
> tmux eventually.
tmux and screen's memory footprints at startup are nearly identical
on my system, and a screen session that has been running for two months
has leaked very little - Little enough so that it might not be leakage.
(note that this on Solaris):

  vsz rss        time
 2652 1792       00:31 screen
 9656 1424 59-19:35:55 screen

Furthermore, based on this discussion:

 http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/549/tmux-vs-gnu-screen

and this discussion:

 http://superuser.com/questions/236158/tmux-vs-screen/

I'm not convinced that tmux is "better", but I am certainly going
to give it a try.