qemu-devel

Re: Backdoor in xz, should we switch compression format for tarballs?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: Backdoor in xz, should we switch compression format for tarballs?
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 06:03:46 -0400

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 at 14:00, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:

> For more info, see
> https://lwn.net/ml/oss-security/20240329155126.kjjfduxw2yrlxgzm@awork3.anarazel.de/
>  but, essentially, xz was backdoored and it seems like upstream was directly
> responsible for this.
>
> Based on this, should we switch our distribution from bz2+xz to bz2+zstd or
> bz2+lzip?

I think it's reasonable to drop xz as a precaution due to the
long-term control the attacker may have had over the code base. I
haven't researched the alternatives though.

I CCed Michael Tokarev because he looked at compression formats for
distributing QEMU recently and may have thoughts on which alternative
is suitable.

For the record, I confirmed that the following QEMU servers do not
have xz-utils 5.6.0 or 5.6.1 packages installed:
- shell1.qemu.org
- node1.qemu.org
- ci1 at OSUOSL
- qemu2.osuosl.org