qemu-devel

Re: [RFC] accel: add cpu_reset

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: [RFC] accel: add cpu_reset
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 14:51:43 +0100

On 3/22/21 2:45 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 22/03/21 14:35, Claudio Fontana wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't understand the question.  Why wouldn't it work? :)
>>>
>>> Paolo
>>>

>> Heh probably something I forgot or do not understand around the specific_ss
>> / common_ss distinction.
>>
>> I was under the (wrong?) impression that we build some tools or components
>> that include common_ss objects, but not specific_ss.
>>
>> And maybe I am just wrong, and things are simpler than I expected.
>
> No, all emulators include:
>
> - some parts of common_ss, compiled once per build.  These are files
> that do not use target-specific definitions.  Other sourcesets also
> define once-per-build files, and in fact they end up in common_ss via
> the add_all method of sourcesets; softmmu_ss, for example is added to
> common_ss under the CONFIG_SOFTMMU condition.
>
> - some parts of specific_ss, compiled once per target because these
> files use target-specific definitions.
>
> - the entirety of the respective hw/ and target/ sourcesets.
>
> It is possible to include calls from one sourceset to another (including
> from common to specific) as long as the conditions ensure that the
> symbol is defined.

I guess this last sentence is the more tricky for me to get: "as long as the
conditions ensure that the symbol is defined".

> Paolo

Thanks for the explanation, I would assume that "make check" then would be able
to catch such problems?

Which targets would I need to build to ensure that any problems with this are
detected? Do we cover all of these cases with our gitlab CI?

Ciao,

Claudio